On 19-20 July 2017, in Johannesburg, South Africa, CIArb International Arbitration Conference is held on “The Synergy and Divergence Between Civil Law and Common Law in International Arbitration”.
Speakers will include the Honourable Professor Githu Muigai, Attorney General of the Republic of Kenya, Mamadou Konaté, Mali Minister of Justice, Justice Charles Kajimanga, Judge of the High Court of Zambia.
The programme of the conference includes:
- The role of legislation in developing and sustaining an arbitration friendly seat
- Judicial intervention, perceptions and reactions
- What the client wants: strategic choices in drafting arbitration agreements
- The perspective from arbitral institutions on building a synergy between common and civil law
- Civil-common law divergence and convergence in handling disputes from specific industries
- Investment arbitration in the African context
- Arbitrators: the civil and common law styles
- Synthesis of recommendations to bridge the gap between legal traditions in Africa.
More information and registration at the CIArb website.