interim measures| all issues
All documents for the issue: 16Case law: 1 | Bibliography: 15 | Publications ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja: 0
1. Under Art. 1194 §2 of the Civil Procedure Code, in every instance, and thus also when ruling under general principles of law and equity, the arbitral tribunal shall take into consideration the provisions of the contract and the established customs applicable to the given legal relation. Such established customs include lex mercatoria (autonomous commercial law). Under either field, the basis for the resolution of the validity of the claim by the arbitral tribunal, depending on the procedural stance of the respondent, may be the relevant institution connected with the defence of setoff.
2. The legal construction of setoff may be relevant also for the dispute before the arbitral tribunal. In particular, once the dispute is pending before the tribunal, assertion by the opposing party of an effective defence (under substantive and procedural law) of setoff, depending on the substance of the overall procedural defence by the respondent in that proceeding, may exert the effect of acknowledgement of the debt by the party asserting that defence in the proceeding, and in further consequence lead to a kind of modification of the dispute in the proceeding (depending on the position of the party initiating the proceeding), which becomes an evaluation of the existence of the claim covered by that defence.
3. In a situation in which the existence of the claim determined exclusively by the defence of setoff constitutes the subject of the dispute in another proceeding, there are no grounds for finding that the plaintiff has a legal interest in obtaining a declaration that it was effectively set off. … Given such arrangement of the procedural relations between the parties, the arbitration agreement made by the parties applies to issues covered by the agreement within the meaning of Civil Procedure Code Art. 1161 (as it is connected with the issue of effective performance by the respondent of the obligation covered by the agreement), and it cannot be found that the agreement has ceased to be in force (Art. 1165 §2).
4. The construction of the institution of setoff in the specific conditions of the proceeding before the arbitral tribunal may speak in favour of considering it in that proceeding (if it was connected with acknowledgement of the claim covered by the arbitration agreement), unless the permissibility of asserting such defence (e.g. in a proceeding for an order for payment) is expressly excluded. Analogous reasons may constitute a basis for refusing enforcement of the arbitration award by the state court under Civil Procedure Code Art. 1214 §3(2).
5. After an arbitration award is enforced by issuance of an enforcement clause for the award pursuant to Civil Procedure Code Art. 1214 §2 (also considering the repealed portion of Art. 777 §1(2)) of the code), the award constitutes a writ of enforcement coming from a court, and consequently Art. 840 of the code may be applicable.
6. Leaving to the court the discretion to select the method of security does not mean that the choice can be arbitrary. The court is bound by the demand stated by the party applying for the security as to the method of security, the nature of which may relate only to the purpose of the proceeding, and in consequence may not affect the realm of procedural actions the other party is entitled to by law in terms of its freedom to exercise the legal means afforded to it in another proceeding. There is no justification in the civil procedure regulations in question for obstructing the course of proceedings before an arbitral tribunal.
Data wydania: 22-11-2016 | Sygnatura: I ACz 1997/16Key issues: interim measures, jurisdiction of arbitral tribunal
Arbitration Court. Commentary to Articles 1154-1217 of the Civil Procedure Code [Original title: Sąd polubowny (arbitrażowy). Komentarz do art. 1154-1217 KPC]
Warsaw 2017, pp. 255Key issues: New York Convention, general works, state court assistance, arbitrability of dispute, arbitrator, arbitration agreement, arbitration procedure, costs of arbitration, interim measures, jurisdiction of arbitral tribunal, settlement before arbitral tribunal, arbitration award, petition to set aside arbitration award, recognition and enforcement of domestic arbitration award, recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration award
Dziurda Marcin, Górska Olga
Discussion on the availability of tribunal-ordered ex parte interim measures – comments from the Polish perspective
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2016, No. 4, p. 25-36Key issues: interim measures
Gałązka Piotr, Wyrzykowski Damian
Interim Measures in Commercial Arbitration – General Overview in the Context of Polish Regulations
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2016, No. 4, p. 37-48Key issues: interim measures
Evolution of Two-Instance Proceeding in Investment Arbitration [Original title: Ewolucja dwuinstancyjnego postępowania w arbitrażu inwestycyjnym]
e-Przegląd Arbitrażowy 2015, No. 1-2, p. 5-11Key issues: interim measures
Kierska Maria, Horodyski Dominik
Concurrent Jurisdiction and its Consequences in Context of Enforcement of Interim Measures of Protection in Arbitral Proceedings
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2016, No. 3, p. 19-30Key issues: arbitration agreement, interim measures
Kierska Maria, Horodyski Dominik
Enforcement of Emergency Arbitrator’s Decisions - Legal Problems and Global Trends
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2016, No. 1, p. 27-38Key issues: New York Convention, interim measures, recognition and enforcement of domestic arbitration award, recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration award
Kierska Maria, Horodyski Dominik
Prerequisites of Ruling on Interim Measures in Commercial Arbitration [Original title: Przesłanki orzekania o środkach zabezpieczających w arbitrażu handlowym]
PPH 2016, No 3, p. 51-58Key issues: interim measures
Anti-Suit Injunctions in the Light of Europeanisation of Private International Law [Original title: Anti-suit injunctions w świetle europeizacji prawa prywatnego międzynarodowego]
PPH 2017, No. 6, p. 36-46Key issues: arbitration procedure, interim measures
Anti-suit Injunctions Issued by Common Law Courts [Original title: Anti-suit injunctions orzekane przez sądy common law]
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2017, No. 4, p. 37-54Key issues: arbitration agreement, arbitration procedure, interim measures, arbitration award
Arbitration Exclusion in the Brussels I Regulation (Recast) in the Context of Provisional Measures and Case Law [Original title: Wyłączenie arbitrażu w rozporządzeniu Bruksela I (wersja przekształcona) w kontekście środków tymczasowych i orzecznictwa]
R.Pr. Zeszyty Naukowe 2016, No. 1(6), p. 163-180Key issues: interim measures
Pacocha Monika, Kruczkowski Zbigniew
Interim Measures Issued by the Arbitral Tribunal – Practical Remarks and De Lege Ferenda Conclusions [Original title: Zabezpieczenia roszczeń przed sądem polubownym – uwagi praktyczne i wnioski de lege ferenda]
PPH 2016, No. 6, p. 35-43Key issues: interim measures
Łaszczuk Maciej, Szumański Andrzej
The Arbitration Rules of the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce. Commentary [Original title: Regulamin Arbitrażowy Sądu Arbitrażowego przy KIG. Komentarz]
Warszawa 2017, pp. 604Key issues: general works, arbitrability of dispute, arbitrator, arbitration agreement, arbitration procedure, costs of arbitration, interim measures, jurisdiction of arbitral tribunal, settlement before arbitral tribunal, arbitration award
Marcisz Paweł, Orzeł Aleksandra
Anti-Suit Injunctions Issued by Arbitration Tribunals in the Light of the Judgement of the Court of Justice of 13 May 2015, C-536/13, Gazprom [Original title: Anti-suit injunctions wydawane przez sądy polubowne w świetle wyroku Trybunału Sprawiedliwości z 13.05.2015 r., C-536/13, Gazprom]
PPC 2017, No. 3, p. 379-402Key issues: New York Convention, arbitration agreement, interim measures, jurisdiction of arbitral tribunal, recognition and enforcement of domestic arbitration award, recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration award
Pörnbacher Karl, Pütz Lars
Interim Measures by Arbitral Tribunals and State Courts after the Constitution of the Arbitral Tribunal and their Enforcement in Germany
ADR. Arbitraż i Mediacja 2016, No. 4Key issues: interim measures